killall NetworkManager in Ub 9.10 and Ub 9.04

Steve Beattie sbeattie at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 18 15:34:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 06:19:44PM -0500, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 November 2009 5:02:22 pm Steve Beattie wrote:
> > In 9.10, Network Manager has been converted to upstart, so the
> > recommended way to stop it in that release and going forward is:
> >
> >   sudo stop network-manager
>
> Upstart has new ways to do things? Is this on the wiki or something?

Hrm, I can't find anything on wiki.ubuntu.com;
http://upstart.ubuntu.com/getting-started.html
documents it in the Job Control section.

The other way it's documented is that, at least in karmic, sysv-style
initscripts that have been converted to upstart get backwards compatible
symlink to an upstart utility that warns you that it's been deprecated
like so:

  $ sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager stop
  Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
  utility, e.g. service network-manager stop

  Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
  Upstart job, you may also use the stop(8) utility, e.g. stop network-manager

--
Steve Beattie
<sbeattie at ubuntu.com>