Ubuntu-qa Digest, Vol 20, Issue 1. Using Ubuntu

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Tue May 5 18:11:23 UTC 2009

On Martes 05 Mayo 2009 1:52:49 PM Kofi Anane- Kyeremeh wrote:
> My main concern is why doesn't the Operating System come with the codecs
alraedy installed. Where exactly can I find these codecs on the internet as
well.

Because in some parts of the world (such as the US) patent-encumbered codecs
require paying license fees (I notice you only named codecs which have patent
issues), and if you don't have a license it's not legal to use them.  If
you're wondering why for example, many codecs are already there on a Dell with
Windows pre-installed, it's because Dell paid the license fees and then you
paid Dell back in the price of the computer.  I believe Dell does include
licenses for DVDs and maybe some other codecs if you buy an Ubuntu computer
from them.

You can download packages from http://packages.ubuntu.com and put them on a
flash drive to install that way.  Gathering all of the packages whose names
start with "gstreamer" should provide pretty good coverage.

By the way....why send this to QA?

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo