Exit Criteria to Production and Release Blocker Nominations

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Mar 11 22:02:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:13:51 -0700 Null Ack <nullack at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Right now, it seems interpretations of justification for declining
>> blockers means its ok to goto production with default error messages
>> being presented to the user.

Yes.  It absolutely is.  Ubuntu uses a time based release philosophy and
outside of some total disaster, we will release on time.  In the history of
Ubuntu there has only been one release delay.

Other distros have different philosophies about release, but that's ours.

The role of QA in the process is to identify any real show stopper bugs
that absolutely must be fixed and to help identify less critical, but still
important issues so limited developer resources can be focused where it
will do the most good.

Scott K