My belated mailing list introduction

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sun Dec 13 01:45:28 UTC 2009

Hey everybody.  This started out as a long email but I've decided to
split it into an actual introduction and some separate productive talk
about what I've been doing lately.

I'm Scott Ritchie.  I believe I met most of you that attended UDS, where
I sort of have a reputation as being the "Wine guy".  I'm really excited
about the idea of connecting the Ubuntu community with Canonical, and
based on the sessions at UDS I'm confident we know what to do and how to
do it.

Personally, I am an Ubuntu packager, MOTU, and have a good chunk of
experience with software testing.  This of course includes bug triage in
launchpad and Wine, but before then I spent a few years working for
RomNet Support Services doing (mostly manual) software testing.

>From experiencing both sides first hand with different clients, I can
say that having an open bug tracker and the potential for community
involvement makes a huge difference; it is, in short, a big part of the
reason why I'm here.  This is a huge advantage of open source, and the
more we can exploit it the better.

Anyway, I'll follow up with some additional emails based on a few
thoughts I had while editing the Testing wiki pages and tying up UDS
loose ends.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie