New Member Introduction & Testing Wiki Mailing List URL Question - Take 2

Mitch Towner mitch.towner.ubuntu at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 12:28:33 UTC 2009

Note to self - mailing lists do not like HTML emails. My apologies for
the jumbled mess that was my previous post. Please see below for a
properly formatted plain text version of my original introductory post.

Hi. My name is Mitch. I have recently signed up to the Ubuntu Testing
Team & this mailing list, with the goal of trying to contribute back to
Ubuntu. I first started using Ubuntu a couple of years ago (7.04 Feisty
release, I think) & I switched to being a full time Ubuntu user when
7.10 came out. At that time I (and a couple of my work colleagues) were
lucky enough to be able to convince the management team at my work place
to switch the whole company network (currently 200 or so desktops &
laptops) from Windows 2000 (*shudder*) to Ubuntu. We are still trying to
convince the management team that Ubuntu Server should replace the
Fedora based servers that are currently operating in-house. From that
time on we have been creating & continually improving upon an internal
company SOE for use within our workplace. I am also currently working on
an Ubuntu based SOE PXE server to aid in our rapid deployment of Ubuntu
within our company.

At my workplace (NCSS - http://ncss.com.au/) we are focussed almost
entirely on HP/Compaq equipment as we are currently Australia's largest
HP/Compaq Authorised Service Centre. As such, my main focus has been on
resolving issues related to HP/Compaq Desktop & Laptop computers running
Ubuntu. I have been focussing on sound related issues for HP laptops,
but these seem to be almost entirely resolved now in karmic (with the
installation of an alsa backports package). I have also been
contributing to the Translations team, but I have found that there is
not much work to be done in en_AU translations.

In one of the many different technical roles I have had at my current
employer over the years, I was Quality Assurance Officer. As such I was
motivated to explore QA testing within Ubuntu. I am currently reading
through the wiki pages for the Testing & QA teams to find out where I
can best help. Hopefully I will be able to give back to the community as
it has helped me to see that computing can be fun, interesting &
exciting again!

As I was reading through the mailing list archives, I read that it was
suggested to another new team member to "user test" the wiki itself. I
noticed a slight spelling mistake in the URL for for the ubuntu-testing
mailing list & have rectified that so it is no longer bringing up a 404
Error. But upon further reading of this mailing list archive I believe
it may be better to change this mailing list URL to point to this
ubuntu-qa mailing list instead of the seemingly inactive
"ubuntu-testing" mailing list. The page on the wiki I am referring to is
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing .

I was going to change this, but upon reading the "TODO" list
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/TODO) I noticed that there is possibly
list URL should be displayed on the Testing wiki page. Can someone
please let me know what mailing list URL should be used so that I can
change it?

I have just noticed that this is starting to become somewhat long-winded
& that was not my intention so I will stop writing this & get back to
reading more of the Testing wiki & documentation :) I look forward to
being able to help with testing within Ubuntu & to finally be able to
give something back to this awesome community.

Kind Regards,
Mitch Towner