how windows is detected windows installation?

Alexey Fisher bug-track at fisher-privat.net
Thu Apr 2 05:58:01 UTC 2009

Ok. seems i asked wrong people. Please if you do not know, do not
answer! If you do not understand what i mean, re ask me again.

I know well how grub work. I do not know how the installer work and haw
he add windows in to the list. What program is used to detect other OS?
Is this understandable?

Michael Harden schrieb:
 > what other information is needed?  How does it work, bassically the
same way as ntldr works on windows xp, 2000, nt.  When the installer
runs a check, it finds other partitons on the hard disk.  If these
partitions are readable and detectable, it goes ahead and writes the
section into grub, so that grub can boot those operating systems
correctly.  If it does not read them correctly, as sometimes happens
with vista, certian things may be left out.  You just need to edit the
list file, to include all the information needed.  There is no way to
change how grub detects other OS's.

 > On Apr 1, 2009, at 5:45 PM, Alexey Fisher wrote:
 >
 >> No, i mean: ubuntu installer generate menu list for grub and if it
 >> deteckt windows on the hard drive this will be included in this grub
 >> menulist. So i wont to know how it's working, because there is some
 >> other stuff need to be included too.
 >>

 >> Josh Stanley schrieb:
 >>> Hello,
 >>> What do you actually mean?
 >>> Do you mean how does windows see the partition of ubuntu when you
 >> start the
 >>> computer?
 >>> Thanks