Xubuntu-testing team status

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 18 14:14:24 UTC 2008

Thanks for your reply, Stéphane.  Please see my notes below.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I personally don't think that it's of any use to have one testing team
> for each derivatives and I think we are a lot more efficient working all
> together sharing the testcases near release time. So I'm all for getting
> rid of xubuntu-testing and moving those users to another team.
>
> Now comes the question of what team is best, I'd personally suggest the
> current members of xubuntu-testing to move to ubuntu-testing.
> ubuntu-testing contains everyone interested in testing Ubuntu, it's sort
> of the equivalent of the ubuntu-bugsquad for package and distribution
> testing.

That makes sense to me.  The concern that I have with moving xubuntu-testers
of to ubuntu-testers is that people will join ubuntu-testers to test ubuntu,
and xubuntu wouldn't get the testing love that it needs.  Is there any
intention of designating (or would it be possible to designate) some sort
xubuntu-testing lead within the larger framework of the ubuntu-testing
community?  And to have some designated xubuntu testers within that
framework?

> ubuntu-qa is more for people with experience and having done significant
> contribution to Ubuntu QA. I would prefer to see Xubuntu testers first
> join ubuntu-testing and then when they feel they contributed enough to
> Ubuntu's QA effort, email this list and ask for ubuntu-qa membership.

Understood.

> Improving the way we handle ISO testing approaching release time is
> something we'll need to do in the very short future as it's proven to be
> not enough efficient in the past (Intrepid's alphas are good example,
> Hardy final too). I hope we'll work on that soon.

Yes, that's why I think it would be better to have one coordinated team
focusing on all of three sponsored distros, rather than several disparate
teams all trying to play catch-up with the QA efforts that are happening for
ubuntu.

Thanks, and feel free to let me know your thoughts,

Jim