Jamendo 3k, Integrating open content

Rui Amaral ruimoinhosster gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 16 de Abril de 2007 - 05:06:02 BST

Latest News  Jamendo 3k, Integrating open content
<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7389> Mike Linksvayer, April 15th,
2007

Another <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7301> milestone for
CC-centric <http://jamendo.com/creativecommons> music site
Jamendo<http://jamendo.com/>:
3,000 albums released, including 1,000 in the last three
months<http://blog.jamendo.com/index.php/2007/04/15/jamendo-publishes-1000-more-albums-in-less-than-3-months/>
.

If you're a Linux user the Rythmbox
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythmbox>music player is a great way to
explore these albums. It ships with a Jamendo
plugin (and a Magnatune <http://magnatune.com/> plugin), providing a
seamless listening experience. Screenshot:

<http://www.jonobacon.org/?p=925>

Jono Bacon recently wrote about this in Making us win: Integrating open
content <http://www.jonobacon.org/?p=925>:

Sometimes we, the free software community, can get a little pre-occupied
with the immediate landscape, and we often focus too much on Linux, free
software ethics and open standards. These are essential, but there is a
whole world of open content such as Jamendo, Magnatune, Open Clip Art,
OpenStreetmap, Wikipedia, Freesound and much more at our fingertips. With
such a rich tapestry of open content and a licensing infrastructure
(Creative Commons as a great example) that makes it so simple to license and
distribute such content, we have a huge opportunity to not only provide a
free software Operating System, but to also hot rod it with oodles of free
content.

In the spirit of doing what I encourage others to do (be a CC
tastemaker<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7385>),
two recently released Jamendo albums I recommend…

Self-titlted "NeoRomantic Pop" by
WhiteRoom<http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/4244/?refuid=9833>from
Quebec. Start with track 10, Simple
Mood<http://stream3-4.jamendo.com/4244/mp31/10%20-%20Simple%20Mood.mp3?u=9833&p=0&h=a937d6>
.

If "improvisación experimental" from Spain appeals to you, check out En
Busca Del Pasto's Digresiones IV: Variaciones sobre un
diaporama<http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/4357/?refuid=9833>
.

Enjoyed that? Then head over to
archive.org<http://creativecommons.org/www.archive.org/details/HR053>and
listen to one of my favorite albums in the commons (public
domain <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/> in this
case), Miscel·lània
Sonora<http://www.arrakis.es/%7Eccs/hazardrecords/catalogue/hazard_53joanbages.htm>,
Joan Bagés i Rubí's improvisational sound art from Barcelona.

http://creativecommons.org/

"La simplicidad consiste en sustraer lo que es obvio y añadir lo
especifico".
John Maeda <http://www.media.mit.edu/people/bio_maeda.html>