Share Music in a Network using Avahi (DAAP)

Rui Amaral ruimoinhosster gmail.com
Domingo, 8 de Abril de 2007 - 02:40:01 BST

Share Music in a Network using Avahi
(DAAP)<http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/09/22/share-music-in-a-network-using-avahi-daap/>
*September 22, 2006* *Posted by carthik in
packages<http://wordpress.com/tag/packages/>,
applications <http://wordpress.com/tag/applications/>,
guides<http://wordpress.com/tag/guides/>,
ubuntu <http://wordpress.com/tag/ubuntu/>,
music<http://wordpress.com/tag/music/>.
16 comments<http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/09/22/share-music-in-a-network-using-avahi-daap/#comments>
*

Okay, so I have a desktop with around 50 Gigs of music. I also have a laptop
on which I work most of the time, from various places in and around the
house. I did not want to (and don't have the space to) copy the songs onto
the Laptop. So I went looking for a simple way to share my music over the
Network.

I found that rhythmbox supports DAAP, the same technology that Apple uses
with iTunes to enable sharing.

To enable sharing, install the avahi daemon on the desktop using:

$sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon

Now, in Rhythmbox, go to Edit->Preferences->Sharing(which is a tab) and
select "Share my music".

http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/tag/music/

"La simplicidad consiste en sustraer lo que es obvio y añadir lo
especifico".
John Maeda