Building Safety Into Our Work

Anthony Papillion papillion at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:44:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Jono Bacon <jono at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Today on the #ubuntu-power-users channel LaserJock raised a really
> important point: if we have essentially two broad sets of users
> (end-users who rely on the out-of-the-box desktop experience, and power
> users who want to trick out their systems), how do we protect end-users
> from damaging their system by using tools designed for power users?

Hi Jono,

Definitely a very important topic as even experienced users can mess things
up from time to time. I'm going to publicly support the idea I brought up in
the channel about backup and rollback. I think that would probably be the
easiest route to ensure that changes were reversible. Sort of like the way
certain tools (like registry cleaners) on Windows will back up your registry
prior to making changes. That way, you're never left with a non-bootable
system. At worst, you have to log in

Anthony