Problem with refreshing in xterm and emacs

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 10:13:49 UTC 2011

Hi

I know this is not a real power user question, but I only think power users
can answer it, because only they might experience the problem....

So:

I am using Natty and all updates and unity.

I must say I quite like it, but there is one major issue:

I am using emacs regularly (programming) and also terminal (xterm, mc) and
it happens regularly that, when working in emacs, not all letters are
refreshes after typing or shown as white squares or nothing at all. When I
mve my mouse into a different window, all text appears as it should. So I
assume that it is  kind of refreshing issue, that compiz is no refreshing
when it should.

Is somebody else experiencing this behavior? Is there anything that I can do
to fix this? Can I try a different composite manager or disable composite at
all? I tried unity-2D, but that is not handling my two monitor setup (laptop
plus external monitor with different resolution above) at all.

If it is important:
graphic card: ATI Technologies Inc M56P [Radeon Mobility X1600]

open source driver, as no proprietary exists any more.

Any help appreciated as I am a little desperate (I even tried kde again, but
was even less happy with it generally and might have to go back to
fluxbox...)

Cheers,

Rainer

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)