Ubuntu-Pakistan Ubuntu Pakistani Guru Challenge 2010

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 21:22:18 BST 2010

Hi Omar and thank you for taking interest in this! Everyone learns
something when they shift over to Linux. Some experiences are fun and
some not so fun. I know of someone who converted 5 computers in his
office to Ubuntu but couldn't get Autocad to run on Ubuntu. As an
architect, he was using Autocad to design structural technical
drawings.

He had to convert 3 computers back to the earlier OS he was using. He
then went a step ahead, he tried virtualization, mono etc and played
until he found a solution. He quoted, at first, his migration were a
failure due to the Autocad issue but he still believed in and used
Ubuntu. So your story can be either a total success, a win win, a
failure (like your drivers didn't run, your employees weren't happy,
your software didn't work etc) or it can be a combination of both a
success and failure. Everyone is being given an opportunity here!

We want our members to learn from all types of stories. Even the EOBI
case I shared bottlenecked them with Oracle because Oracle for Linux
was only working with RedHat 3/4. They practically wrote an Oracle
shell wrapper for the Ubuntu Kernel. That's what I call a success and
failure story and then a remedy!

--
Regards.