Ubuntu-Pakistan [Ubuntu Urdu] We are unaware of this new group on Launchpad relating itself to Ubuntu-Pk?

Waqas Toor waqasnasirtoor at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 20:42:54 BST 2007

Hello members,

On 3/30/07, Fouad Riaz Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Community Members,
>
> A group has appeared on the Ubuntu Launchpad Community at
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-poss titled "Ubuntu-POSS" or "POSS Ubuntu
> Users" discussing an Ubuntu Derivative Distribution Activity being organized
> at PIEAS Islamabad possibly.

This project was supposed to be off the record just a degree project
as far as i know ... but taking it to the limits before its even
approved by the university or the Ubuntu officials  thats was stupid
and i am not aware of it.I am also an external supervisor (mentor )
just to make directions so that they could have their degree project
completed ... but it is not in my information what so ever that it is
to be officially announced even.and i dont have any thing to do or
information in this regard that to whether who created this community
even :(

> First of all, neither have I created this "Ubuntu-POSS" or "POSS Ubuntu
> Users" project nor do have any knowledge about this activity nor have had
> prior discussions with the members of this project through telephone or
> email communication. I have also not received any prior email requests or
> witnessed any discussion regarding such a user community or project on both
> the Ubuntu Pakistan General nor the Ubuntu l10n Urdu Mailing Lists, Waqas
> Toor, kindly point me out if I am wrong.

yes you are right ... this project is a university project and is off
the record ... then why it was announced on launchpad ... i am also
not sure .. its not even approved in the university

> I am not aware if all the rest of the community members are aware of this
> group or its objectives as they have listed, as per the Community Code of
> Conduct and the objectives of the Ubuntu Pakistan Official Team, we have no
> prior agreement to creating a Ubuntu derivate distribution when the current
> Ubuntu Distro is still under improvements and lacks full Urdu Localized
> Capabilities. Secondly, the immediate objectives of the Ubuntu Pakistan Team
> are localization of Ubuntu into Urdu through the Rosetta Translation System
> at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/dapper/+lang/ur where nearly 970
> localization and translation tasks are yet to be fully completed.

yes and i agree with that .... localization is what should be done
regarding ... we are not mature to localize it even how could we build
a new Ubuntu derivative :-s

> My vote is that I am unaware of this community so will not be moderating it.
> In my opinion it should be removed since there is only one Ubuntu Linux
> Official User community, official mailing list
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-pk  and this team is also a
> partner of the Ubuntu International l10n Urdu Translation/Localization
> Project https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-l10n-urd.

i am also not moderating this list and would like this list to stop
announcing false statements and if they want to translate ubuntu and
be know like PIEAS group they would first have to consult us "the list
members" to get that approved.

thats all i have to say about this stupid act. I am mentoring that
project but would not allow that. So if those guyz even get this
email. I am not sure why they did that before even getting to know the
Code of Conduct.

--
Waqas Toor
member of Ubuntu Pakistani Team
waqas at ubuntu-pk.org
http://www.ubuntu-pk.org

Linux *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and Gates ?

http://waqastoor.weblog.pk
(Registered Linux user #424056)
ref link http://counter.li.org/