Ubuntu-Pakistan Licencing reasons

Burhan Khalid burhan.khalid at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 10:37:33 GMT 2006

On 12/6/06, Waqas Toor <waqasnasirtoor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/6/06, Burhan Khalid <burhan.khalid at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Of course you are not. It is your choice to purchase a computer with
> > Windows and a winmodem. I choose to purchase my systems without an
> > operating system.
> >
> > Businesses are there to make money. What is more feasible to you as a
> > business? Take a risk and develop some hardware, then sell it at a
> > higher cost to a niche market -- or, develop hardware that is
> > compatible with 90% of the world's desktops, and reduce the cost
> > because you know you can sell more?
>
> again monoply ... i am bound by the desktop champ to do such things
> ... and about winmodems . they are due to microsoft's approach towards
> that layer that will communicate with the device ... and make the
> kernel hybrid :) ... and killing all those who come their way ...
> linspyre .. was lindows ... wine project ... but now changed the
> registry entries to fail it on wine ... so a giant making his own road
> ... and if you have to walk on that road you have to go by the rules
> of that giant ... but again linmodems are there :) tweaks of winmodems
> not an issue any more

Ces la vie :)

> > Clearly, if you have developed any kind of software at any scale, you
> > know better than to say "never breaks". Everything breaks. Its just
> > how long it takes and what damage it does when it does break is what
> > is important.
>
> i am a software developer ... and what i thinking keeping monkeys
> using my software makes me to test i more and more on every situation
> ... but still it crashes .. but how to recover ... and have you tried
> recovering those stupid swp files in winME and found.000 folders in
> WinXP ? if yes  do tell me they ate a lot of my data :(

Sounds like a little lesson in debugging is in order here ;)
> > You see, it is your choice to deploy open source, and that's great.
> > For businessess that have already invested in the Microsoft system --
> > to come to them and say -- "you are wasting your money" or other such
> > nonsense that I have seen come from so called "Linux evangelists" is
> > just stupid and unprofessional. If you really want a business to
> > shift, you will stop arguing the same 'flamewar' topics and instead
> > concentrate on how a shift or migration would help their business line
> > dramatically.
> >
> > Case in point -- I have a business client that already had a large
> > investment in Windows Servers and everything is running great. They
> > were thinking of setting up a new webserver farm for a new business
> > project; and they called me in to evaluate some of the offers they had
> > recieved.  I showed them, in plain dollars and sense how a different
> > approach would save them money.  My approach happened to be with Linux
> > clustering.  They were a bit apprehensive at first, saying that Linux
> > is for "hackers" and saying things that I imagine they got from people
> > evangelizing Linux in the wrong way.
>
> that is the whole debate ,,, linux and windows a different from core
> .. i mean kernel , libraries etc ... they are nothing alike ... but
> what people try is to find alternates without know these core concepts
> .. and here they fail .. free is as in freedom .. but people want free
> beer ... so that is the main point that linux is a different approach
> towards software (opensource)  and windows is different closed source
> ... have you ever thought Microsoft is one company ... and Opensource
> is whole world ?

No, because that's not reality.

> > This comes down to a business decision. Maybe they don't consider
> > postgres to be mature enough? Who is going to support them? Is it
> > compatible with their current (example) Oracle Financials or SAP
> > systems? Where will they find proficient people in postgres?  All
> > these questions come up.
> >
> very true ... and this is how the OpenSource support companies are
> earning ... answering these questions and supporting the un supported
> ...and this is how open source works ... but if you want a feature in
> MS sql server ... you cant ... but with postgres if people are not
> developing ... you have the source you can develop your feature right
> ?

Yeah, but that's another cost.  You want to pay to have it developed,
or go find someone that already has it done, tested and will support
you on it?  Sometimes, its worth the cost -- at other times,
businesses consider that a large risk.

> > > forget if some thing hurts ... consider me a noob ... but cant help it
> >
> > We are all noobs in the game of life.
> yeah and i like being a noob ;)
> its a long debate on linux and microsoft ... the debate should be on
> software piracy and adopting good computing ethic

Actually it should be thread on translation of Ubuntu to Urdu (atleast
that's my understanding of the whole LoCo thing) ;)

Regards,
Burhan