Ubuntu-Pakistan Need help, its urgent

Ali Asad Lotia ali.asad.lotia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 19:11:56 CDT 2005

On 9/21/05, SaQiB MaHmOOd <ssaqibmahmood at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, to all ubuntu users,
>
> i want to know how can i run audio/video files in ubuntu. like media player
> in windows which software or patch i need to run multimedia files. please
> give me complete information and link, from where i get that software. its
> urgent .
>
> Waiting ur positive reply.
>
> $@q!b

Hello Saqib,
In future, please delete any extraneous text that is not pertinent to
your message. It makes it a lot easier for people to understand what
it is that you are asking for. Also, posting to the list with words
like "urgent" in the subject header will not convince anyone to reply
faster to your mail. Generally the etiquitte of mailing lists is such
that you make requests instead of giving orders.

Now, on to your question, there are two pieces of software that you
may use to play multimedia files in Ubuntu. The first is mplayer
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html, this page has
information and documentation. The second is VLC for which the
homepage is http://www.videolan.org. In both cases, you will install
using the Synaptic Package Manager which is in the System menu instead
of downloading off these websites.

For more information on how to do this and enable other multimedia
playback check the unofficial Ubuntu guide at http://www.majalah.com/
or http://www.ubuntuguide.org

Hope this helps.

Ali Asad