[Ubuntu-PH] Ubuntu Expertise needed

Allan E. Registos allan.registos at smpc.steniel.com.ph
Wed Mar 9 01:42:14 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, 09 March, 2011 08:41 AM, Noel Nuguid wrote:
> Have you tried looking into Zentyal ( http://www.zentyal.com/).
> Although our company uses ClearOS, I've been studying this since all
> of our servers are Lucid based.
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:45 AM, andrew <andrewuy888 at gmail.com
> <mailto:andrewuy888 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     looking for Ubuntu expertise:
>
>     assumptions:  all servers and clients are running ubuntu 10.04lts
>     server or desktop (please feel free to comment on any item)
>
>     1. primary domain controller running openldap, managed by webgui
>

>     2. nfs and samba server (for the few windows boxes, around 5).
>     home folder mounted as a separate partition (need to enforce quotas)
>
>     3. around 25 desktops (home directory pathed to nfs/samba server
>     when they log in)
>
>     4. backup server for the pdc and file server and sql server (db is
>     around 30gb compressed), must dump to a nas and a tape (offsite
>     backup, manual intervention of changing tapes at 8am daily).
>     backup and restore should be easy.
>
>     5. backup of pdc, files server and backup server (virtualize?)
>     (auto failover if available)
>

>     6. users can print to a central fax server (with two usb
>     modems?).  incoming faxes are centralized, reviewed and dispatched
>     to users. (auditing for what users printed, how many pages, what
>     doc if available, softcopy of all records)

hylafax.org

>     7. one update server for the client desktops (to save bandwith)
>
>     8. Print audit, who print, what, pages, with report summary.
>     softcopy of all print requests if available

http://printserver:631 plus nagios(extension), http://www.papercut.com/
is a great tool for this though. I think all of the above can be done
with a combination of Ubuntu server, samba (auth=LDAP(Fedora Directory
for failover instead of openldap)), hylafax, nagios, rsynch.

>     9. hardware design? dell r710?
>
>     10. manage, alerts (email when errors occur like system stopped
>     unexpectedly...)

Can be done with Nagios

>     11. all processes are automatic
>

>     security concerns are important.
>
>     please feel free to recommend, we're looking for a best practice
>     setup and some additional features.  if there are other, then
>     please do recommend.
>
>     can you please point me in the right direction for a person that
>     is qualified to do this systems infrastructure?
>

>     thanks!
>
>     andrew
>
>     --

There must be a computer language that is 100% visual, but runs at the speed of the C language.