[Ubuntu-PH] SJVN reports that "Ubuntu changes its desktop from GNOME to Unity"

Ian Dexter R. Marquez iandexter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 14:55:05 UTC 2010

Still, Shuttleworth's pronouncement was pretty sensational. ;)

Some would regard this decision (Unity vs GNOME Shell) as ultimately a
fork, an idea that further (IMHO) exacerbates the perception that
Canonical is not contributing enough to core GNOME functionality.
GNOME's focus right now is to revamp the desktop experience, and with
Canonical working essentially on their own on Unity, GNOME will be
losing the much-needed feedback from Ubuntu's user base, and skills
from Canonical's experienced engineers.

(I don't want this to boil down to an "us vs them" debate -- anyone
miss KDE vs GNOME vs Xfce vs whatever? Didn't think so.)

Bottom line: it was a business decision for Canonical. They want
market differentiation for the Ubuntu brand, and it's well within
their right to decide what's best for their users. In the end, the
free software community would have to decide which to support more.
Diversity is good, but not too much. :)

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 18:11, Zak B. Elep <zakame at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's sjvn for you. He just loves to sensationalize.
>
> On Oct 26, 2010 12:05 PM, "Allan E. Registos"
> <allan.registos at smpc.steniel.com.ph> wrote:
>> Actually as one commentator pointed this out, the title is SJVN's article
>> is misleading, it is not a departure from "GNOME" which is the desktop, but
>> from the default shell of Gnome. Unity can be understood as a counterpart or
>> another alternative of "Gnome Shell" which runs on top of Gnome.

Ian Dexter R. Marquez
http://iandexter.com