[Ubuntu-PH] SJVN reports that "Ubuntu changes its desktop from GNOME to Unity"

JC John Sese Cuneta jcjohn.sesecuneta at laibcoms.com
Tue Oct 26 05:53:25 UTC 2010

I think what most are arguing against this decision is the level of
"migration" it will attract from Windows users.  Our experience with
demo-ing Ubuntu with Windows users was really eye-opening - [1] they
don't care if it looks cool; [2] they don't care if it feels fast; [3]
they want something that they are already accustomed too; and [4]
something that requires less (re)-learning.

When we demoed Ubuntu, we made it look like Windows XP and Windows 7, as
in customized as much as possible, and still those 4 I mentioned above
still came up.

So changing the desktop to Unity default, based on our experience, will
further make the Windows users to _not_ to migrate, nor even try.
"Unity for desktop as default" will not break that ice.  For netbook,
sure, it _is_ a netbook after all, we need space and speed.  But for a
desktop as default?  It's a bad decision.

This clearly tells me that Canonical is done with the "come Windows
users try us out" phase.  The recent decisions, from Jaunty onwards,
were all signs to me that they have a new vision and a new objective.
They are now treating Ubuntu as an independent "OS".  A product worthy
to be called an Operating System in and of itself.  Ubuntu is Ubuntu.
Ubuntu _is_ _the_ OS.

Compare that to say Debian: Debian is the distro, Linux is the OS, hence
"Debian Linux".  Canonical look to me to be aiming for something like this:

Person A: "What's your OS?"
Person B: "Linux"
Person A: "What distro?"
Person B: "Debian" or some other distro…
Person A: "How about you?"
Person C: "Me? My OS is Ubuntu"
Person B: "That's the distro, you should say Linux"
Person C: "Huh?  What is Linux?  My OS is Ubuntu not Linux, whatever
that is"

They're repositioning Ubuntu down that path (or up that future).  It's
done being an "alternative", it's done being a "gateway to Linux".
That's why they're deciding on major changes that many people are
reacting against, like this one now.

For us geeks, again, for "us geeks", it is as easy as installing
whatever DE and DE-shell we want to use.  For the average user, most of
them are not comfortable with that, doesn't have time to learn and
tinker and break their machines, and whatever reason why they are still
an "average user".  There are people built for building skyscrapers and
people made to be just end-users of those skyscrapers.  And there are
people with plenty of time on their hands, and people who just wants
everything familiar so they bother not with reading this and that just
to do this and that.

The phase where Canonical is now is for those with time on their hands
to learn something new.  And to some extent, the people who build
buildings not the people who lives/use the end product.

Is it a good move?  Only time can tell.  Or maybe the question is: Is it
the right time to do this?

Right now, the popular OS are: Mac (for Unix, lolz), Windows, and
Linux.  Most are mis-informed about the name/brand "Linux" but not with
"Ubuntu".  I only hope that the good reputation they have built behind
the brand "Ubuntu" will bring the product to greater heights and success
with the new path and future they want to bring it to.

Maybe one day it will be like this: Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu.  ^_^