[Ubuntu-PH] Maverick Meerkat - connecting to N router

[C]hicken [G] od iamthechickengod at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 03:01:59 UTC 2010

I was able to compile the driver
RT2860PCI/mPCI/CB/PCIe(RT2760/RT2790/RT2860/RT2890) from source found at
http://www.ralinktech.com/
and followed the instructions found in

I had to edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf using

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

and add rt2800pci on an empty line. I also found out the file
intel-5300-iwlagn-disable11n.conf and edited it using

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/intel-5300-iwlagn-disable11n.conf

and changed the original entry below

options iwlagn 11n_disable=1

options iwlagn 11n_disable=0

I restarted the computer and it I am now able to get 802.11n speed on my
router.

I did another test with the wireless turned off and restarted the system but
when I turn on the wireless after the desktop has loaded the network manager
applet does not see detect that the wifi is enabled on the laptop.

It seems that there is a bug. If I am missing something, please let me know.