[Ubuntu-PH] Ubuntu Inquiry

Allan E. Registos allan.registos at smpc.steniel.com.ph
Wed Jan 27 03:28:55 UTC 2010

> By the way according to windows our ethernet is a VIA RhineII Fast
> Ethernet adapter
> the modem is a ZTE ADSL type.
> May solution pa kaya?

I missed the original mail.
Does the ISP provided you with username, password and IP address/DNS servers?
If it is DHCP, then Ubuntu will connect to the internet once the ethernet cable is connected from your ZTE ADSL to your VIA RhineII Adapter(If this card is Linux-supported), so I suspect that you do have a custom details provided by your ISP.

Another option would be to setup a router - any router then setup the connection details(provided by your ISP) to your router, setup a DHCP connection and connect your Ubuntu to that router. Then you should be connected to the internet immediately. The difficulty of configuring a router for an internet connection and then DHCP for local addresses varies from router to router but most often it is more difficult than configuring Ubuntu directly for internet connection. We do have an Edimax router with username/password/public IP/dns server-configured to connect to a ZTE ADSL provided by PLDT.