[Ubuntu-PH] Off-topic: internet connection using the mobile

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 9 13:40:05 UTC 2009

Hi Sauro,

The rates of the major mobile operators are almost the same. The
tariff is usually 10 pesos for 30 minutes GPRS/UMTS/HSDPA. If you have
an unlocked phone, you can just a prepaid sim and tether to your PC or
via Bluetooth. This should also work in Ubuntu depending on your
connection settings to the phone.

These links might help:

http://smart.com.ph/buddy/services/mobileinternet.htm

http://mobilityph.blogspot.com/2008/04/globe-mobile-internet-php5-for-15-mins.html

There is also a 3rd player named Sun Cellular but the coverage is not
that wide compared to Smart or Globe. In Cebu, I've had good
experience with using Smart.

Jerome