[Ubuntu-PH] Free Ubuntu Books

Heherson Pagcaliwagan herson at azneita.org
Fri Jul 31 08:35:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Yolynne Medina <yolynne at gmail.com> wrote:

> didn't quite understood this part.. how are those in the academe exempted?

Fair use makes this so.

RA 8293 Sec. 185 states that:

"The fair use of a copyrighted work for criticism, comment, news reporting,
teaching including multiple copies for classroom use, scholarship, research,
and similar purposes is not an infringement of copyright. Decompilation,
which is understood here to be the reproduction of the code and translation
of the forms of the computer program to achieve the inter-operability of an
independently created computer program with other programs may also
constitute fair use. In determining whether the use made of a work in any
particular case is fair use, the factors to be considered shall include:
(a) The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a
commercial nature or is for non-profit educational purposes;
(b) The nature of the copyrighted work;
(c) The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the
copyrighted work as a whole; and
(d) The effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
copyrighted work."

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Dax Solomon Umaming <
> knightlust at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> Yolynne Medina wrote:
>> > diba isa lang ang copy per loco team? are they ok with the photocopy?
>> > hehe ebooks na lang..
>>
>> Yeah, 1 hard-copy per loco team.
>> No, it's not ok to photocopy it. Copyright laws still prevents us.
>> Although I'm sure there are exceptions for educational use (read:
>> teachers and students only and part of their course - hey, you're
>> qualified Yolynne!).
>>
>> >     I can help with the distribution, most of the time I'm at SM Mall of
>> >     Asia weekly.  Or those who will get it from me can meet me at the
>> >     Magallanes/Mantrade MRT station - no need to get out of the station,
>> >     I'll just hand it over the fence :p
>>
>> Thanks, will mail it to you once I receive the copy. I just need to
>> worry about the shippping charge since Prentice Hall will not cover it.
>> hehe.
>>
>> >     By any chance, are there eBook or PDF versions?  I haven't seen it
>> ^^
>>
>> I think there's a paid pdf version, you can back up a copy, but not
>> allowed to pass it on to someone - only the hard copy.
>>
>> --
>> Dax Solomon Umaming
>> http://blog.knightlust.com/
>>
>> --