[Ubuntu-PH] Ubuntu integrated to curriculum?

Michael Vernon Guerrero guerrero at mydestiny.net
Wed Jan 14 08:32:10 UTC 2009

@Troy, @all,

I am from City of San Juan, but previously from City of Tarlac. My
friend, from law school days, is the one of those administering the
school in Cavite that I consult for.

The school is about to expand its computer laboratory, that's why there
is this interest to deploy Ubuntu, in lieu of the default proprietary
operating system. #2 would not be totally applicable, under the present
situation; however, I would assume that deferring the plans would make
#2 actually an actual consideration and would negate any suggestion for
FOSS in the future since proprietary software would have been acquired.

As far as I know, the administration is not too keen about making a
killing on textbook sales, as others would, but is actually interested
on adopting and participating in open textbook initiatives, whether they
may be available under Creative Commons, or GFDL, whichever is
applicable. I am from Creative Commons Philippines, and I somehow have
influenced the administration into a more liberal orientation, towards
the legal sharing of works, and fostering the proliferation of
information and enhancement of creativity.

I initiated this inquiry to determine if there are available resources
suitable to the concern, and prevent ourselves from pursuing redundant
efforts to the same end. Be as it may, the limitation remains to be the
present availability of resources (here limited on computer
instructions) intertwined with current school curriculum, considering
the immediate timetable to make this a reality.

The offer from @Yolanda is encouraging. We remain to look forward for
varied solutions for this current predicament. Anyhow, we intend to
share whatever solution we could come up, on our side, in consonance to
efforts to foster Open Education and the Philippine Commons.

Indeed, #3 is quite crucial to actually convince other schools to adopt
FOSS into class instructions.

A meet-up, among open source enthusiasts, is definitely welcome.

Warm regards,

Berne