[Ubuntu-PH] Ubuntu integrated to curriculum?

hard wyrd hardwyrd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 01:34:20 UTC 2009

This basically depends on what the computer lab is used for. If its
for teaching computer basics, operating system basics, pwede na agad.
However for higher learning, we have to identify first what are the
current subjects, and the tools being used on those subjects.

I was an instructor for more than 6 years, and when I was promoted as
head of the IT studies dept. (4 years ago), I proposed going Linux and
opensource. But then again, we had to consider the following:

1. we have engineering subjects which standardized on AutoCAD (2D and
3D) with existing licenses at that time.
2. subjects that took up Rapid Application Development and were using
Delphi and/or VisualBasic
3. creative design subjects that were standardized to use Adobe
Photoshop and DreamWeaver among other things

I proposed for alternatives for these tools however, I was faced with
overwhelming number of votes against my proposal. Which then led me to
resign from the post and leave the school itself.

The factors, in my opinion, that could affect successful shift to
opensource tools in schools are the following:

1. skills and competency of the instructors
2. willingness of the school administration to fully commit and devote
itself to shifting to opensource
3. timing
4. the existing hardware

The software is always available. It's the human factor that must be
dealt with. This in turn can be solved also by providing training on a
regular basis, and increasing in complexity until the desired skill
sets are met. Instead of a direct approach, I believe that gradual
introduction will negate the sudden "shock" from the intended
recipients .

Just my two cents.