[Ubuntu-PH] To Linux or Not to Linux

"Yosif ali" Roque Morales queroph at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 04:23:16 UTC 2009

>From my favourite Blogger Christopher Dawson
February 18th, 2009 To Linux or not to
Linux?<http://education.zdnet.com/?p=2173>

Posted by Christopher Dawson @ 9:36 pm

One request that actually made it past the budget gods for FY10 was 60
convertible
Classmate PCs <http://education.zdnet.com/?p=2046> (30 for each of two
schools). These will replace aging stationary labs in the schools, freeing
up needed space and allowing for redeployment of the older computers for
individual classroom and student use. This leaves me with a question to
answer, though: Do I use Windows XP Home or Edubuntu?

The teachers largely favor Windows. It's familiar and they'll have enough to
do learning the new applications and integrating the tablets in class, let
alone learning a new operating system (or so they say). Yet Intel has
assured me that there will be an equivalent software stack between the two
operating systems, I've found that our RTI software runs quite well under
Wine, and Edubuntu itself has quite a body of educational software available
in its repositories.

I have yet to test Edubuntu on the Classmate. That will be happening soon
and obviously I need to put it through its paces before I make a decision.
We know that XP is pretty snappy on the little machines, though, and new
firewalls with some pretty heavy duty gateway anti-malware should keep them
running safely without performance-sapping client-side anti-virus (we,
unfortunately, won't be able to send them home, meaning that the firewall
and weekly scans with ClamWin should do the trick).

On the other hand, XP Home is remarkably dated and Windows 7 will not be
available by the time we purchase the netbooks. Windows 7 would carry its
own learning curve anyway, making it less attractive by the teachers'
original argument. Edubuntu, particularly as based on Canonical's Netbook
Remix, is new and shiny, inherently secure, and quite mature.

Something important to remember, however, is that *buntu is about as easy as
Linux gets. In fact, it's about as easy as desktop computing gets. The
students won't have an issue no matter what I put in front of them. I think
the teachers will be pleasantly surprised at the usability and features in
Edubuntu.

Barring any unforeseen problems in testing, it's going to be Edubuntu in
kids' hands. The convertible Classmate really represents a whole new way of
integrating computers into classroom instruction. As we train teachers to
utilize all of its capabilities, we'll ensure that they are comfortable with
the new OS as well.
[image: Christopher Dawson]Christopher Dawson is the technology director for
the Athol-Royalston School District in northern Massachusetts. See

--
Yosif Roque Santos Morales