[Ubuntu-PH] USB on Virtualbox

GOvvin govvin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 02:02:26 UTC 2008

>From their FAQ <http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ>:

   - *USB on Ubuntu/Gutsy*: Ubuntu removed support for /proc/bus/usb/*. We
   will address this issue in the future. Until this, edit the script
   `/etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh and activate the four lines around line 40
   (Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work). Then execute

   /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh start

   From now on, there should be a directory /proc/bus/usb/ and the device
   entries below should be accessible by any user.

   - *USB on Ubuntu/Intrepid*: Finally, the Ubuntu guys completely removed
   these lines. So you have to manually add them again:

   mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
   domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs usbfs
-obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
   ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
   mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

   Add these lines to at the end of the start() function of
   /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh.
   Note that the *udev permissions* for the USB devices are still used. For
   instance, to access a USB disk you have to be member of the group disk.
   Execute

   /bin/ls -l /proc/bus/usb/*/*

   and check if you have *write access* to all desired USB devices.

   If you want to make all USB devices available for users member of the
   vboxusers group, apply the proposed change for *USB on openSUSE*.

> I did a fresh download from virutalbox.org
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
>

> *-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> **Troy Frederick Lim*
>
> Chief Operations Officer
>
> Cavite People's Digital Empowerment Multi-Purpose Cooperative <http:///>
>
> *Board Member*
>
> Head - Technical Innovation Advisory Committee
>
> Internet Cafe Association of Imus Inc. <http://icaii.homelinux.net/>
>
> *Member*
>
> Ubuntu Team Philippines<https://launchpad.net/%7Eloco-philippine-team/+members>
>

> troy_lim[at]yahoo[dot]com <troy_lim at yahoo.com>
> lim.troy[at]gmail[dot]com <lim.troy at gmail.com>
> lim_troy[at]hotmail[dot]com <lim_troy at hotmail.com>
> lim.troy[at]gmx[dot]com <lim.troy at gmx.com>
> *+639152056731*
>
> *Leave me a voicemail*
>
> *Y! Messenger*
>
> **
>
> *The box said 'You need Windows Vista or better' .... so I installed
> Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntu.com/>.

> *
>
> *...¸ __/ /\____ ____*
> *,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\*
> *```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |*
> *¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°**As for me
> and my house, we will serve the Lord** ***

> *Sent:* Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:01:15 AM
> *Subject:* Re: [Ubuntu-PH] USB on Virtualbox
>
> I don't think you can do that if you're using virtualbox-ose (which is in
> the repos)

« Odoroki Farms »
-=-Namnam Coco Palm Sugars -=-
p: 0063922-8946562 / 0063917-8946562