[Ubuntu-PH] cheap desktop specs

GOvvin govvin at gmail.com
Thu May 8 09:01:25 UTC 2008

If I were you, I'd go around surplus computer shops (offhand, I can think of
SOS or OpenPinoy) and bring along a liveCD copy of a favorite X/K/Ubuntu
flavor and see if the hardware I need is reconized.

Most users respond favorably with KDE-based Kubuntu desktop because it looks
quite familiar. If you wanna run older (and presumably, cheaper) hardware,
you'd want to try out Xubuntu instead.

Some years back when, during the height of anti-software piracy drive,  I
assisted the migration of a LAN from Windows XP to Ubuntu, except for some
printer driver issues, it worked great! Common issues then were

   - What version of windows are they using?
   - Formatting issues with MS Office documents, especially powerpoint.
   - Games
   - Adobe (Macromedia) Flash / Shockwave
   - Yahoo Video chat

You should get a decent enough refurbished PC below 10k.

Good luck!