[Ubuntu-PH] UUID

Francis fccabarle at ieee.org
Sat Jun 21 16:10:03 UTC 2008

you can try checking UUIDs for your ext* hard disks using the command
dumpe2fs. That command should output the filesystem UUID which Ubuntu's
fstab is using.
Hope that helps.

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 11:48 PM, cj pangilinan <cjpangilinan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I noticed in the /etc/fstab that it uses UUID of the partition instead
> of the /dev/sdax format. My question is what is that UUID and how do
> you know the UUID of a device or partion of hdd? I only found one
> command in ubuntu, uuidgen which generates a UUID similar in the
> /etc/fstab entry.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Carlos Jhunie L. Pangilinan, Jr.
> Consultant
> www.soluziona.com

Francis
affiliate: Computer Networks Laboratory, UP DEEE
member: UP Linux Users' Group (UnPLUG) @ http://unplug.eee.upd.edu.ph/
Yahoo!/Y!M: francisgeocab(at)yahoo(dot)com
mobile number: +639186553101
Counted as Linux user #454073