[Ubuntu-PH] Hosed my System

roy choco roychoco at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 07:23:33 UTC 2007

Hi,

Thanks.  I've come to the conclusion that I would need to upgrade using the
cd.  And I'm too much of a noob in linux to be monkeying too much for the
online upgrade to fail.  My own upgrade from Edgy to Feisty also failed.  I
thought that was because I installed automatix.  So while using Feisty, I
usually just used the add-remove utility.

Although I think that I did install a couple of packages manually, using
instructions from the internet, and I did monkey around with the setting of
xorg when I upgraded my video card.

I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one that experience such
difficulties. :)

Thanks again.

On 10/27/07, Bopolissimus Platypus Jr <bopolissimus.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/07, roy choco <roychoco at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was trying to upgrade to Kubuntu Gutsy yesterday,  I encountered some
> > problems while gutsy was installing, ling story short,  I think I hosed
> my
> > system.   All the stupid things I did can be read  at
> >
> > http://batongpatay.blogspot.com/2007/10/upgrading-to-gutsy.html
> >
> > Any help, including telling me how stupid I am will be appreciated :)
>
> I've done that thrice (online upgrade, Dapper to Edgy, Edgy to Feisty,
> Feisty to Gutsy).  It has never worked flawlessly for me.
>

> http://monotremetech.blogspot.com/2007/05/online-feisty-upgrade-washout-again.html
>
> For Edgy to Feisty I gave up and installed from CD.  I think I might
> have found a
> way to get Dapper to Edgy to work, but I don't remember.  I'm afraid I
> might need
> to reinstall again for Gutsy.  Mainly, my online upgrades would fail
> because the
> .deb system that Ubuntu uses is a bit too inflexible for me.  Or I'm
> messing with
> my system too much and it's my fault.  Or both.  For instance, at one or
> another
> point I would just rm -f a file from /etc/init.d because I'm too lazy
> to inactivate it
> the right way.  Trying to apt-get remove the package that owns that
> file would then
> fail (sometimes requiring dpkg --configure -a to fix).
>
> Sometimes too (I think this was with courier related packages during
> the Dapper to
> Edgy update), more than one package thinks it owns a given file.
> Uninstalling one
> file makes the other package unable to uninstall since it won't
> uninstall if it can't
> find a file it's supposed to delete.  Now *that* I think is a weakness
> in the rules for
> that particular package.  Existence of a file that is going to be
> deleted anyway should
> not block an uninstall from completing, it should just skip the file
> since the effect would
> be the same anyway.  I think what I ended up doing (since I knew how
> to use strace
> and still don't know how to read .debs) was strace the uninstaller,
> figure out what
> file it was missing, and touch the file so that it would have an empty
> file to remove :-).
>
> I've tried the gutsy online update already.  I would say that you
> probably should *not*
> accept any console errors if things go wrogn.  Instead, figure out and
> fix each error
> as it appears (e.g., creating missing files, if that's what's
> required, or apt-get removing
> the package that is just breaking before continuing the upgrade).
> When the upgrade
> completes cleanly, then you would just reinstall any packages you removed.

> [...]

Pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will -  Gramsci
http://batongpatay.blogspot.com/