[Ubuntu-PH] Ubuntu training

ryan ryan at gbsmanila.com
Wed Oct 24 05:40:44 UTC 2007

I agree. To answer some of your questions:

What specific applications does your organization use?

            -MS Office   (OpenOffice)

            -PDF Reader                                    (I don't know the
linux equivalent of the next three)

            -Email Client (Outlook)

            -Instant Messengers (Skype and YM)

Are there custom-developed applications? If yes, what
platform/framework/API/libraries are they running on?

            -All custom-developed applications are web-based.

What type/brand/specifications does your workstations and server have? Do
these hardware have support on Ubuntu/Linux?

            -All PC run on Intel P4 processor, 64 MB video card, 256MB RAM,
40GB HDD. They are willing to add more RAM if necessary.

What database environments does your organization currently run on? Can the
database environment be migrated to Linux?

-         I think MYSQL can run into Ubuntu :-)

Thanks !

  _____

There is no such thing as a smooth transition. However, getting a
knowledgeable consultant will definitely ease the pain. What you need to
identify in your organization are, but not limited to, the following:

- What specific applications does your organization use?
- Are there custom-developed applications? If yes, what
platform/framework/API/libraries are they running on?
- What type/brand/specifications does your workstations and server have? Do
these hardware have support on Ubuntu/Linux?
- What database environments does your organization currently run on? Can
the database environment be migrated to Linux?

These are just some of the pain points. Hope these will help.