[Ubuntu-PH] Proposal to Merge Tagalog and Filipino

Gerald Timothy Quimpo bopolissimus.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 17:41:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 17:55 +0800, Franz Allan Valencia See wrote:

> I prefer we use Filipino only.
> * we don't need to create one for each dialect, and
> * The Filipino language is heavily influenced by Tagalog anyway.

hahaha, I'm Visayan.  We have strong feelings about this.

As a practical matter, Filipino and Tagalog are the same thing.
it's not "heavily influenced", it's SO similar that any differences
are fig leaves, words taken from non-tagalog languages to allow
filipinos to pretend that Filipino isn't Tagalog.

Clearly, given the essential equivalence, having Filipino+Tagalog
*is* redundant.  It's not something Visayans (Cebuano speakers
in particular, or actual Cebuanos) care to point out, but there
it is, it's a fact of life.

Just, you know, don't speak Tagalog or Filipino in Cagayan de Oro or
Cebu (people will look at you funny).  It's OK to speak it in Davao :-).

tiger