[Ubuntu-PH] dual boot

Jopes jofellxcite at gmail.com
Mon May 21 19:37:24 UTC 2007

I dunno if this helps...

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

You should be installing Windows on the partition where it can reach the
MBR, meaning it should be the upper or higher section of your hard drive. If
you already have Linux installed at this part, then try partitioning your
hard drive, copy the files to the second partition, and erase the first
partition. That is where you install Windows.

Install GAG and let it detect the OS's in your partitions (you have to have
a floppy drive). It's like installing GRUB in your MBR.

On 5/22/07, hard wyrd <hardwyrd at gmail.com> wrote:

> You could take the previous suggestions. They are also good. However, if
> you really should use Windows still for obvious reasons, then you can
> prepare a Windows partition ahead of time.
>
> You can either:
>
> 1. Pre-partition the disk to have Linux-based partition (ext3, reiser,
> etc.) and Windows-based partition (FAT32, NTFS, CIFS)
>
> 2. Install Ubuntu first, however, within the partitioning phase of the
> Ubuntu installation workflow, choose Guided Partitioning and create a
> primary Linux parition (Ext3 or ReiserFS) which will become the root
> partition, and a swap partition. During this phase also, set aside a
> partition for Windows. Preferably, use FAT32. It will be converted to NTFS
> automatically later during your XP installation. Proceed with your Ubuntu
> installation as normal. Before the installer can even start copying the
> files, cancel your installation and reboot then proceed in installing
> Windows.
>
> After completing the Windows install, reboot and install Ubuntu. It will
> then be able to identify your existing Windows partition, and the Linux
> partitions you created earlier.
>
> On 5/21/07, Tonyo Cruz <tonyocruz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm using Feisty Fawn on my laptop computer.  Everything's working
> > fine except for the built-in card-reader. On the whole, I'm satisfied
> > and happy with Ubuntu.
> >
> > But I still need to use XP for programs like Photoshop and Macromedia
> > Suite. Thus, the need for a dual boot.
> >
> > How could I do this if Feisty Fawn is already installed? Any online
> > resource available?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --

> "A dog that has no bite, barks loudest."
> Registered Linux User #400165
> http://baudizm.blogsome.com
> http://phossil.ifastnet.com
> Subscribed to:
> LARTC, Open-ITLUG, PRUG, KLUG, sybase.public.ase.linux
>
> SHA256: 857dd62339c9fe27460b725747dfe25d5612933f7d879c35fb0cba2dadaf972f

Jofell S. Gallardo
www.jofell.com

Founding Engineer
Bandwagon - iTunes backup application