[Ubuntu-PH] ubuntu-ph Digest, Vol 27, Issue 10

david t. asuncion, jr. daveasuncion at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 00:26:53 UTC 2007

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:54:14 +0800
> From: "Harvey Diaz" <bhdenterprises at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-PH] (no subject)
>         <ubuntu-ph at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> The City Government of Surigao also uses FOSS solutions since 2006. The
> City
> Accounting Office has converted some of its accounting templates from MS
> Excel to OpenOffice.org Math (OpenOffice.org for Windows), while the City
> Planning and Development Office has some computer desktops installed with
> various versions of K/Ubuntu (from Dapper Drake to Feisty Fawn).

Admirable, I hope all other LGUs will follow your example.  Harvey, can i
ask a few things about OOo Spreadsheet?!  Is there an equivalent for the
Window --> Autoarrange feature present in Excel?

Surigao City's website and online portals are also hosted on Ubuntu Dapper
> Drake servers housed at Surigao City's very own "data center". Although
> the
> data center cannot be compared with what you see on the web and on call
> centers, it is nevertheless operational 24 hours, functional and very
> effective. It houses not just the web server but also the RPTS, BPLS,
> eNGAS
> and payroll systems. RPTS and BPLS servers are on Red Hat (developed
> in-house and/or contracted with open-source software companies), while
> eNGAS
> and payroll systems are on M$ (developed by national government agencies).
>
> The city's computerization committee are also eyeing on fully migrating
> desktops to FOSS operating systems (unless of course if the desktop has M$
> OEM installed) and developing future systems using FOSS frameworks and
> solutions.

And oh, our Community eCenter uses all Linux. :)

--
David Tacasa Asuncion, Jr.
website keeper, forever linux newbie, BUM extraordinaire

Linux User # 406430
http://counter.li.org/

GPG: 0A024BC0