[Ubuntu-PH] (no subject)

Allan E. Registos allan.registos at smpc.steniel.com.ph
Fri Jun 8 00:43:19 UTC 2007

The main reason of the resistance I think is the new learning curve not
the functionality. Aside from that, there are customized macros(VBA
scripts) that are incompatible with openoffice.
Unfortunately, most people will prefer the pirated versions, rather than
using openoffice. I heard that Microsoft even recommend to pirate their
software.
I don't think that it is practical for Schools to buy expensive bulk
licenses from MS to be used by students at the cost of their tuition
fees. Anyway, there is a 3$ campaign recently by MS.
3$ for a stripped version of XP and another 3$ for a student version of
Office 2007 if I am correct,  this was revealed at Beijing by Bill Gates
himself. The real motive I think was to compete with Linux and the OLPC
project by Negroponte.  But still, most people here will use pirated
copies rather than buying the cheap versions.