[Ubuntu-PH] re FOSS Bill

Jopes jofellxcite at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 13:11:24 UTC 2006

Sobrang agree po ako.

On 11/16/06, Tonyo Cruz <tonyocruz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Nakagugulat ang mga (hopefully) initial reactions sa PSIA position
> paper on the FOSS Bill. But I think we still have to read the FOSS
> Bill first -- para makapagbigay ng mahusay-husay na comments. I will
> get a copy of the FOSS Bill and post it to the list.
>
> Offhand, I am quite surprised that the terms "competition" and
> "freemarket" are being used in the posts. Precisely because of a lack
> of a genuine "freemarket" and the monopoly of Microsoft and
> proprietary software kung bakit ipinupush ang Bill. Tingin ng Bayan
> Muna, masama sa pangkalahatan ang ganitong sitwasyong umiiral ngayon.
> In any situation, monopolies suck. And in situations where there are
> monopolies, there is no real "freemarket" or "competition". Another
> reason why monopolies are bad or intolerable to FOSS is any monopoly's
> refusal to admit mistakes, or to be intimated that there's something
> better. FOSS is for a genuine competition and a free market.
>
> If only for the billions of pesos we could save for a number of years,
> methinks the government should migrate to using FOSS. Security-wise,
> the databases of Landbank, GSIS, SSS, Philhealth, Census, etc. should
> be resistant to various possible assaults that are unfortunately
> mainstays of proprietary software.
>
> Hopefully, we could get this discussion forward and find possible ways
> to make the FOSS Bill to make Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu more accessible
> and attractive for government, corporate and consumer use. I really
> wish Ubuntu and FOSS enthusiasts would develop from being fringe
> (exclusivist) groups into truly mass movements teaching and helping
> people wean away from expensive proprietary software and the world of
> commercialized ICT.
>
> Ciao,
> Tonyo

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life?
How do you go on... when in your heart...
you begin to understand... there is no going back?
There are some things that time cannot mend.
Some hurts that go too deep... that have taken hold."

- Frodo Baggins (LOTR Return of the King)

Belated Labor Day (ano daw?)!

Jofell S. Gallardo
www.jofell.com

Founding Engineer