[Ubuntu-PH] Proposal: Some changes to UBUNTU-PH as a community

Clair Ching happy.eclair at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 06:37:43 UTC 2006

On 7/28/06, Jerome Gotangco <jgotangco at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Hope all is well in the community. At the moment, we have a revamped
> website and starting to take shape with the help of some people.

It's a really nice revamp :)

> So obviously, UBUNTU-PH != Greater Manila Area.
>
> This is what I would like to cultivate and grow fruit in the future. I
> would like to see people active in their local community get the
> exposure from the global ubuntu community and eventually have people
> contribute to development of free software in general. Most people
> have the skills to make it possible; they just don't know where to
> start and having a tight local community can translate to a lot of
> things in unlocking the potential of people.
>
> I'm proposing that we split UBUNTU-PH into three major subgroups:
> Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. It's possible to have minor subgroups
> within major subgroups (Like Ubuntu Zamboanga be under Ubuntu
> Mindanao) as Launchpad makes it possible. These major subgroups are
> distinct from each other, may organize their own activities, and have
> a representative get author access rights to the Ubuntu-ph.org website
> as well as add more people into Planet.

Hey, that's cool! :)  That way we could grow more as a community :)

I'm also calling for an IRC meeting on August 1, 2006 at 8pm (+8UTC)
> in the #ubuntu-ph IRC channel on freenode so we could discuss more of
> this as a community. If an IRC meeting is not possible, we may also do
> a Y!M group chat for those not able to do via IRC.

Tuesday night, right? No problem :) I hope many people will be able to join
the meeting too.

--
Clair Ching
http://clair.free.net.ph | http://clair.pinoyweb.net |

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar. - Hoban 'Wash' Washburn (from
the movie Serenity)