[Ubuntu-PH] Ubuntu as a dev machine

Zak B. Elep zakame at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 22 14:10:37 UTC 2005

On 11/22/05, Radamanthus Batnag <radamanthus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> I've been using Red Hat and CentOS for quite some time, but I'm
> completely clueless on Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> I'm setting up my Linux development workstation and I want to use Ubuntu.

Hi!  Nice to know you want to try Ubuntu out :)

> I downloaded 5.10 and installed it. Then I downloaded PostgreSQL. When
> I ran ./configure, I get an error message saying gcc cannot be found.
>
> Q1: The default installation of Ubuntu has no gcc? [*]
>
> I tried looking for additional CDs in ubuntulinux.com and found none
> except for the LiveCD.

The default gcc for Ubuntu Breezy (5.10) is gcc-4.0, and IIRC it is
not installed by default.  However, it's on the install CD, so all you
need to do (assuming you've set up your Ubuntu installation from CD)
is to:

 * GO to "System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager" at the
top Panel on the Gnome desktop.  It will prompt you for your root
password;
 * SEARCH for "gcc" by clicking on the Search button and entering your
query on the dialog box.  Then that dialog will close, and Synaptic
will do the searching, until it finds gcc and outputs packages
matching the name gcc on the right side. (If you have some other
repositories, like Universe, you might see other gcc versions ;)
 * CLICK on the little square at the left of the "gcc-4.0" package,
then select "Mark for Installation".  By doing so, Synaptic will take
note of this and automatically resolve any dependencies, marking other
packages (notably gcc-4.0-base) as to be installed.
 * FINISH by clicking the Apply button, and confirming your actions.

That's it!  Well, if doing things on the graphical shell irks you, you
can always do it via the command line by invoking `sudo apt-get -y
install gcc-4.0` on the shell.

If you have other queries, please see the Ubuntu 5.10 Starter Guide
accessible thru Yelp on the top Panel of the default Gnome desktop.

> Q2: That's it? Ubuntu really is just one CD?
>
> I like Ubuntu's ideals, and I really would like to use it daily so
> that I'd be more equipped to contribute in improving it later on. But
> I find that, out of the box, Fedora and CentOS are more useful as
> development workstations. Or maybe I'm really just completely clueless
> on this Ubuntu/Debian thing. Any pointers?

The `doc-debian' and `debian-reference' packages, along with
`ubuntu-docs' provide more than enough information to get you started
on Ubuntu/Debian.  And since you're going to use Ubuntu as a
development workstation, you might also want to enable your Synaptic
(APT) to use the Ubuntu Universe package repository; the Quick Guide
(ubuntu-docs and/or ubuntu-quickguide) can tell you how.

> Thanks!
> rad

No problem, and welcome to Ubuntu! :)

> [*] It seems like I'm making such a big issue on the lack or
> inaccessibility of gcc. It's just one download, after all. However, I
> have to use Windows at work (I'm a SQL Server DBA) and can only use
> Linux at home, where I do not yet have Internet connection. I find my
> present workflow of downloading the files I need at work then bringing
> them home unworkable with Ubuntu if I have to download each package I
> need. Contrast this with CentOS, where everything is in 4 CDs that I
> can always have with me.

At present, I recommend that you learn how to use `apt-zip' (via the
`apt-zip' package ;) so you can grab Ubuntu packages via sneakernet on
rewritable media (such as a USB stick).  Other than that (except
perhaps convincing your employers to let you use Ubuntu as part of a
dual-boot system at work ;) you could stick with CentOS, or try Debian
Sarge's 15 CDs ^_^.

--
Zak B. Elep  ||  http://zakame.spunge.org
zakame at ubuntu.com  ||  zakame at spunge.org
1486 7957 454D E529 E4F1  F75E 5787 B1FD FA53 851D