[Ubuntu-PH] Mounting harddrives

jan gestre plugger.list at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 00:34:16 UTC 2005

On 8/23/05, Arlan Tiu <arlantiu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just new in using ubuntu, my problem is I don't know how to mount a
> windows harddisk since I need to copy some files in it.
>
> The system recognize that there are 2 hard drives but ubuntu can't see
> it. Hope you can help me. If ever please give the step by step
> process.
>
> Thanks in advance and more power!
> --
if you're not yet comfortable using the command line interface, now's
the time to get your feet wet :D
lets assume your windows partition is installed in hda1 and is using
ntfs, here is how you do it:

$ sudo mkdir /media/windows
$ sudo mount /dev/hda1 /media/windows/ -t ntfs -o nls=utf8,umask=0222

if its in fat partition:

$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /media/windows

to unmount the windows partition:

$ sudo umount /media/windows

HTH