[ubuntu-nz] Linux computer

Jeff Hunt jeffhunt90 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 18:06:39 UTC 2012

Hi Fred,
I think that someone will be able to find you an Auckland technician
who will do this on the side but there are a few other thngs to
consider.
Although you dont want to do the work yourself, this is traditionally
done by the owner with help from the local Linux User Group. In
Aucland you can probably find someone close to help out.
The other aspect is that installing a Linux computer these days is
very straight forward. So straight forward in fact that the local
Linux Groups are seldoom called on to do it. Adding and removing
software is routine for everyone and if you use Ubuntu there is a
sequence in the help files telling you how to download codecs to
implement all common media file types.
If you do this yourself the first time then it is trivial to redo it
if things go astray in future and you have already been successful
with systems much harder to install in the past.

Another aspect is that computers are now very cheap - especially
ex-lease ones from offices and someone (me if you get stuck) can
install and send a computer for less than $1000.

I have just finished documenting all of the steps I use to install and
personalise a computer and set up a home network. I wrote it as an
article for a magazine. I'll send it off list if you decide to use
that route.

Another thought is that Ubunutu has nearly got itself back on track.
It is worth considering using 12.04. The much vaunted Dash is still
slow and search not quite right but I've used Unity for a year now and
easily do what I want including all the technical things that I have
done in the past. One gets used to anything until it feels better than
anything else.

Cheers