[ubuntu-nz] Wellington Ubuntu Gathering?

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Wed Mar 9 23:41:19 UTC 2011

My opinion doesn't count because I'm not in Wellington :-)

But ...

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Ian Beardslee <ian at karearea.gen.nz> wrote:
> 1/  Would be good to see the WellyLug group grow again and support all
> users of Linux (and free software), independant of distro.

Actually, why not be independent of a specific kernel (and the
GNU/Linux debate) by supporting all uses of Free Software and Open
Source Software on any platform? There's some great stuff running on
Windows, think of it as a gateway drug ...

> 2/  Ignore WellyLug, and focus on an Ubuntu User Group.

There seems to be a large number of people who have arrived at Ubuntu
first, independently rejecting Windows without fully realising the
benefits of their choice, and there seems to be value in a less
in-depth forum for these people to get together to figure out just
what they have their hands on.

>From the initial comments by Dan, I don't expect he would be primarily
interested in the former, but of course there would be crossover ...

-jim