[ubuntu-nz] Problem with display resolution

Ewen McNeill ubuntunz at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Sat Jan 9 20:13:30 GMT 2010

Andrew McMillan wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 22:28 +1300, Kelvin Sim wrote:
>> The part number is RM709PA#ABG
>>
>> I am 100% sure under windoze you can get higher resolution
>
> Well, that's pretty strange, because Google suggests that that model is
> the XGA model, and not the SXGA+ model.

As does the HP list of models:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/nz/en/sm/WF10a/321957-321957-64295-89315-89315-1839144.html

"HP Compaq nx6320 Intel Core2 Duo Processor T5500 512M/60G 15" XGA Dual
Layer DVD+/-RW WXP Pro Business Notebook PC (RM709PA)"

(Note '15" XGA' -- where XGA is 1024x768, see eg
http://www.infohq.com/Computer/notebook-video.htm)

HP are pretty good about giving each unique model its own part number,
so that's usually the best thing to search for to get actual hardware
details.  The more generic model (set) number (NX6320) covers a range of
models with different specifications (and it appears the "X" doesn't
mean "wide screen" any longer).

> I used to have a nx6320 myself (the higher resolution one)

http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/node/57

(My previous laptop was an older HP NC6220, which is 14" 1024x768.  I
never wrote up the install on that one, but lots of other people did.)

Ewen