[ubuntu-nz] Times tables practice

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 11:01:33 GMT 2008

even more off topic really, and the graphics date it just a little ;)

The classic math rescue (why wont companies open source 16 year old
software....)

http://www.3drealms.com/math/index.html

There is a shareware download (very 90's) that runs in dosbox

2008/11/11 Andrew McMillan <andrew at morphoss.com>

> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 21:57 +1300, Johann Schoonees wrote:
> > Slightly OT, but I know this list has some Edubuntu parents to whom this
> > is mostly addressed:
> >
> > I am looking for a times tables tutor/practice/workout for my kids.
> > Nothing obvious that I could find in the ubuntu repos.
> >
> > It must incorporate a time-out feature so that they are under a bit of
> > time pressure.  I have found with some games that they are given so much
> > time that they can avoid memorizing the products.
> >
> > I'm not keen on fancy games.  The more basic and simple the better.
>
> There's mathwar, which I think is OK, and I thought there was another
> one called 'mathblast' or something, but I can't seem to find it now and
> the kids are in bed with their computers firmly off.  Other than those I
> think really your best options are flash games, of which there are too
> many multitudes to list here.  I think that Te Kete Ipurangi has a bunch
> of links to some, and the maths new zealand website also has some.
>

> > I'm told there is an excellent practice programme in the Numberworks
> > suite which has a countdown clock which goes from green to red.  I
> > unfortunately don't have it (and it's on Windows anyway) but if you've
> > seen that one you'd know exactly what I'm after.
>
> Yeah.  You don't need that numberworks thing :-)
>
> Also, if you use flashcards, my wife swears by Mnemosyne, which she is
> using to learn Japanese.
>
> All this stuff is drilling arithmetic though.  If you want your kids to
> understand maths, get them reading the Murderous Maths books, which are
> much more entertaining than sitting in front of a computer doing drill.
>
> Cheers,
>                                        Andrew.

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a
battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." - Calven