[ubuntu-nz] LTS dead end for kubuntu?

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Fri Apr 4 07:27:41 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 18:02 +1200, Steven Ellis wrote:
> On Fri, April 4, 2008 4:44 pm, Johann Schoonees wrote:
> > Apologies if this is old hat.  I live under a rock.
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyHeron/Beta/Kubuntu says:
> >
> > "With the news concerning the release of the KDE 4 desktop, it was
> > decided by Canonical that Kubuntu 8.04 would not be a Long Term Support
> > (LTS) release."
> >
> > Is it possible for Kubuntu to have an LTS schedule that is out of phase
> > with Ubuntu's?
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases shows Ubuntu's release schedule, but
> > where can one see Kubuntu's release schedule?  I see an "8.10 LTS
> > Intrepid Ibex" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu but have not
> > found anything official on the (K)ubuntu sites.
> >
> > What is the upgrade path for KDE fans who don't want to be forced to
> > upgrade every 6 months?
> >

> Nothing forces you to upgrade every six months. You could install Kubuntu
> 8.04 if that suits and run it for a couple of years.

In the case of 8.04 this is probably true, as the archive will be in
tact for the full LTS support.
LTS support means two things:
1. Canonical provides support for the product
2. The support term is extended.

Kubuntu now lacks 1 (no paid support from canonical), but 2. will (i
expect) stay the same.

> I suppose the biggest issue for them is KDE 4. It isn't rock solid enough
> for LTS but its hard to release without it.

They are doing two kde releases - one 3.5(?) and one 4.
kk

--
Karl Goetz <karl at kgoetz.id.au>