[ubuntu-nz] LTS dead end for kubuntu?

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Fri Apr 4 07:02:56 BST 2008

On Fri, April 4, 2008 4:44 pm, Johann Schoonees wrote:
> Apologies if this is old hat.  I live under a rock.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyHeron/Beta/Kubuntu says:
>
> "With the news concerning the release of the KDE 4 desktop, it was
> decided by Canonical that Kubuntu 8.04 would not be a Long Term Support
> (LTS) release."
>
> Is it possible for Kubuntu to have an LTS schedule that is out of phase
> with Ubuntu's?
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases shows Ubuntu's release schedule, but
> where can one see Kubuntu's release schedule?  I see an "8.10 LTS
> Intrepid Ibex" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu but have not
> found anything official on the (K)ubuntu sites.
>
> What is the upgrade path for KDE fans who don't want to be forced to
> upgrade every 6 months?

Nothing forces you to upgrade every six months. You could install Kubuntu
8.04 if that suits and run it for a couple of years.

I suppose the biggest issue for them is KDE 4. It isn't rock solid enough
for LTS but its hard to release without it.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz