[ubuntu-nz] Insite now selling MS-free notebooks and workstations (from NZOSS Chat list)

Dave Lane dave at egressive.com
Wed Oct 10 21:39:14 BST 2007

Hi all,

I figure this thread, given the previous discussion on MS-free hardware
and the fact that it veers into getting Ubuntu Gutsy going on this
laptop, might be of interest to people on this list, too.  This message
was originally posted on the NZOSS OpenChat list (see
http://nzoss.org.nz) on 8/10.

Cheers,

Dave

------------

Just a followup to my message of a few months ago about Microsoft-free
pre-built workstations and laptops.

For those of you who are involved in computer resale (Disclaimer,
Egressive is an Insite reseller), Insite now offer a "customer's own
Linux system/no OS" option on their online "equoter" machine builder
system for servers and, just recently, *for workstations and laptops*!!

The price discount for ditching MS Windows XP Pro (the default choice :)
) or MS Windows Vista is more than I would've expected, and means that
their high quality hardware is available at quite competitive prices.

Their laptops are mostly from the AS Mobile (ASUS reseller
built-to-order) product line - I'm typing this on one of their 14"
UltraNote i141-SR (with new Santa Rosa chipset) lappies featuring Intel
GM965 graphics (which I haven't quite got going yet with full eye candy
under Ubuntu Gutsy)...  So far, I'm very impressed.

Regards,

Dave
--
Dave Lane = Egressive Ltd = dave at egressive.com = m: +64 21 229 8147
p: +64 3 9633733 = Linux: it just tastes better = nosoftwarepatents