[ubuntu-nz] Linux Friendly Laptop in NZ?

Andrew McMillan andrew at catalyst.net.nz
Wed May 30 06:46:07 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 16:47 +1200, Tim Penhey wrote:

> > Jason Taylor wrote:
> > > Anybody know where I could pick up a 100% compatible Ubuntu/Linux
> > > laptop in NZ?
> > >
> > > Killerkiwi
> >

> I wouldn't suggest Sony VAIOs.  I've had several, and they don't work as
> well as some others.  Neither suspend nor hibernate work for my sony
> SZ2XP.  Nice and light laptop, but linux support sucks the big kumera.

Yeah.  Ditto.  I had a Sony at the other end of the scale (desktop
replacement): it sucked.  Lots of hardware on it was never supported at
all.

Now I have an HP Compaq nx6320 and it all works except for the
fingerprint sensor.

I've also previously had pretty good experience with the Thinkpads, but
none of the current models appealed to me when I was last buying one.

If you're getting something with an Intel graphics card (recommended)
then try and get one with the 965 or later chipset.  Earlier than 965
doesn't support DRI on virtual screens larger than 2048 x 2048, so if
you plug an external monitor in to supplement your screen real-estate
you lose the accelerated 3D stuff.

Cheers,
					Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley,
                         "Proper Studies", 1927