[ubuntu-nz] Broken update script

Bob Harvey bob.harvey at home.net.nz
Mon Jun 4 23:19:48 BST 2007

Hi,

I seem to have broken the update mechanism on 6.10 Edgy.  I am in the middle of updating from 6.04 Dapper to 7.04 Feisty, which requires migrating via Edgy.  I have the official CDs for all three versions.  Got to 6.10 OK and popped in the 7.04 CD and then had two problems:

First, although the 7.04 CD is identified when I load it and a file listing appears, no update autorun seems to happen.  I tried various things including terminal command: gksu "sh cdrom/cdromupgrade" to no avail (it starts, prompts for password, then ends back to the command prompt).

Second, when I run a command like 'sudo apt-get check' I get the message:
E: Malformed line 2 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dapper-universe.list (dist parse)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
The same message shows on the panel update indicator.

The file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dapper-universe.list looks like this:
# automatically added by gnome-app-install on 2006-10-19 16:29:37.501471
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security
deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates universe

Has anyone any idea what I have broken, and how to fix it?
Bob