[ubuntu-nz] Ubuntu and PC games

Ian Beardslee itb at falcons.co.nz
Sun Oct 8 23:33:11 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 09:43 +1300, Sid Bachtiar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Probably there aren't many people in this list yet, but I'm wondering
> what sort of games people are playing on their ubuntu machines. Game
> seems to be the thing lacking from Linux :-\

Not a great gamer myself, removed all the card games from my system.  As
well has the iconic Frozen Bubble and Planet Penguin Racer, I have
Unreal Tournament 2003 (there is native linux client for that) and
Operation Flashpoint (that's running with wine).

My biggest issue is that sounds is often botched - different apps
requiring different sound engines (ALSA or OSS).  Skype seems to have
caused my sound to get severely screwed.

There are many other dos/windows games that may work under linux (with
wine/crossover/cedega).  I've yet to try some of the other games that I
have forked out great wads of money for over the years and hardly ever
played.  Quake 3, Doom (Collector's edition), Duke Nukem 3d, the Myst
series, MS Flight Simulator (actually that was a freebie).