[ubuntu-nz] Meeting summary

Craig Box craig at dubculture.co.nz
Wed Oct 4 10:45:41 BST 2006

Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone who made it to the IRC meeting yesterday.

The full log is available at
http://irclogs.dannz.net/Freenode/%23ubuntu-nz/2006/2006-10-03.log.html -
here are the "minutes" of the meeting:

Meetings
========

Craig discussed other LoCo teams hold regular IRC meetings and it was agreed
that having a fortnightly meeting would be sensible, moving to monthly if
there is not much to discuss.  Meetings would allow us to check up on our
goals and modify them if necessary.

Tasks to attempt
================

The following ideas came up in the meeting:

Language packs
--------------

There are no packaged OpenOffice.org dictionaries for New Zealand.  There
are -au packages in Universe that could be used as a base, and there are
also en_NZ and mi_NZ dictionaries on the openoffice.org web site.  Some
information about this can be found already at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LocalCustomisation/NewZealand. KillerKiwi
(Jason?) has an interest in this and we suggested he start asking people
with a view to:

- packaging en_NZ in a similar fashion to en_AU
- getting interested people to help with the en_GB translations project
(which will feed en_NZ and en_AU)

Newsletter
----------

stinger (Simon) has volunteered to investigate the first issue of a planned
bi-monthly newsletter for NZ Linux users; picking news from local sources
and the UWNs.  It might take the form of an e-mail, a blog or a web/wiki
page.  The success of the first newsletter will probably decide if it's
worth taking the idea further.

NZ graphics package
-------------------

A package or repository, of open-content pictures of NZ scenery would make a
good addition to both Ubuntu and the NZ Linux community.  Plug (Craig) will
put the word out to some photographers.

Summary
=======

This seems like a good list of things to go on with.  I would like to make a
go at these goals and if all goes well, approach the Community Council for
registration in about a month or so.

I can only assume meetings will probably continue to be very informal and
regular IRC presence will probably mean you'll already know everything that
we'd talk about anyway.  Tuesday had a good turnout - if you are opposed to
Tuesdays for any reason, please contact me off list, and if enough people
mail in, I'll set up something to pick another day.

Regards
Craig