[ubuntu-nz] Planning IRC meeting - this Tuesday, 8pm

Michal Ludvig michal at logix.cz
Mon Oct 2 11:55:12 BST 2006

Craig Box wrote:

> If you haven't posted an introduction to the list, please have a think
> of a few words and let everyone know who you are!

Hi all,

few words about me...

My name is Michal and I came to NZ from the Czech Republic about two
years ago. I have been using Linux since 1994 when I purchased my very
first linux distro Slackware 1.2.0. It arrived on 80 floppies ;-)

Some time later I turned to RedHat and stayed with it for many years. In
 2001 I started working for SuSE and, obviously, started using SuSE as
my distro of choice. I used to do quite a lot of development while in
SuSE and my name appears in the ChangeLogs of many interesting projects
from major ones like GDB, IPsec-tools or the Linux kernel, through
bugfixes and small contributions in dozens of other ones to my recent
"toy" projects like development of VIA Padlock drivers, mysqlfs
filesystem or Amazon S3 linux tools.

I used to be a happy die hard fan of SuSE distro up to OpenSUSE 10.0.
Unfortunately the version 10.1 was toooo lazy and buggy that it couldn't
even be installed on some of my machines. That was a good kick for me to
look around and try some other distros. Actually thanks for that, SuSE
(err, Novell)! I picked Ubuntu 6.06 and was surprised how little memory
and disk space it needs and how fast the package manager is comparing to
SuSE, although the SuSE YaST package manager feels more comfortable to
me. There are indeed things and features that I liked in SuSE and miss
in (k)ubuntu, e.g. YaST - yes I know you'll laugh, or the installer,
which in ubuntu looks to me like coming from 5 years ago. Anyway I'm now
slowly replacing my SuSE installations with Ubuntu when their time for
upgrade comes.

As I prefer KDE over GNOME so I actually use Kubuntu on my machines and
the only GNOME Ubuntu in our house is on my wife's laptop. Unfortunately
it sometimes looks like the KDE version of Ubuntu is just an unwanted
by-product and not as well integrated and tuned as the GNOME version or
as KDE in SuSE. But I'm not a desktop freak and am lazy to spend hours
tuning every little detail in my KDE. I'm quite happy once I can run
some kind of terminal and ssh to one of my servers.  Add firefox and
thunderbird and I don't need much more :-))

Oops, that's even longer than Craig's intro. OK, enough ;-)

Michal
* Personal Homepage: http://www.logix.cz/michal